Open a fortune cookie and let the wisdom be your guide…
This project is:
1. another opportunity to use the modernist problem-solving method.
2. an exercise in ambiguity
3. a chance to show me what you know about Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop and how you might combine handmade elements
4. a chance to plan and make an extraordinary composition
5. an opportunity to use type in Illustrator
1. Create a beautiful 10” x 16” (or 16” x 10”) poster based on your fortune cookie’s advice
2. The fortune must be included as type somewhere in the composition. You may also choose to use more type.
3. Use color in a thoughtful and compelling manner
4. No use reference material from the internet is allowed on this project. This must be all your ideas and photos and drawings and concepts and collages.
5. You must include some hand-drawn elements in your composition. What do I mean by this? What do YOU think I mean by this? How could you do this?
Start with sketches. I want to see 10 thumbnail sketches before you start work on the computer. Remember that the sketches are part of your grade.
If you cannot come up with an idea for your composition, consider using an “idea matrix”.
If your fortune says something like: “Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, didn’t know where to shop”, try this: combine “happiness” and “know”.
What does that suggest to you?
Then try “happiness” and “where” - what does that suggest? Lather, rinse, repeat…
Keep in mind the principles and elements of design…
The principles include:
The elements include:
Cool colors (blue, green, violet)
Warm colors (red, yellow, orange)
Value (color) tints, shades, tones